Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving

O give thanks unto the LORD; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people, Psalm 105:1

I may be just an old cynic (as I have been told several times) but does the government have any right to tell us to be thankful???

Where are all those who harp about "separation of church & state" on this day (or Xmas for that matter?) I cannot be thankful by command of men. There is only way anyone can be truly thankful: God must make us so! I would like to be more thankful than I am. I can say the words but do I truly feel it in my heart. When the Almighty makes my heart soft, I do. I can't say how it is with you but that is the way it is with me. So, I'll eat some turkey and pray that our Lord God will make me as thankful as HE wants me to be.

Every day of the year should be thanksgiving for God's children. When we think of what He has done for us in and through Jesus Christ, how can we keep from being thankful to him. I'll tell how, because of the sin that permeates our being. Jesus emptied himself for his elect children and yet we do not bow before Him and pour out our heartfelt thanks to Him for all He did for us.

Most who claim to be "Christian" want to tell of their own works, but we shall declare God's deeds even in the face of those will-worshippers. His deeds are what saved us. Nothing man could, would, or should do can add one thing to the deeds which Jesus performed in the fulfilling of the law and the prophets. How much thankfulness does this spring up in the hearts of the Children of Grace??? Let us not look to governments to tell us to be thankful, or that we ought to be thankful, but let us look to our covenant God who sends us His Spirit to make us thankful.

Waldensis
An Inhabitant of the Valley of Achor

No comments: